17.1.10

Sunday Equals Church

I am proud to say I am back posting 12 days later following my previous post. I feel like I am slowly falling into the habit of regularly blogging and that is something I feel a slight sense of accomplishment about. I just got back from a youth fireside for my Stake. I am a Beehive advisor in my ward so I had the opportunity to attend the fireside with my Beehive girls and listen to wonderful counsel in relation to the youth’s theme for this new year. Let me tell you it was everything I needed to hear. I feel extremely fortunate to have a calling with the youth because I am getting all of the benefits of exposure to the incredible youth program organized and ordained by the church. The Spirit resides so strongly among the youth and I am always deeply penetrated by their strong convictions and steadfastness in the gospel principles.

One of the Young Woman from my ward was asked to share her testimony along with a couple other youth from various wards. I was blown away by what she stood at the pulpit and said. She emulated the nature of our Savior in every sense as she shared her knowledge and fervor for the truthfulness of the gospel and her determination to truly live her life in a manner that showcases her beliefs. Another Young Woman from my ward sang the new song that was written to accompany the theme for this year. Her testimony and faithfulness radiated as she sang each word of the song with a surety of what she was singing is true. I am immensely impressed and grateful for their strength and the way it is blessing my life.

I was reflecting on my time in the Young Women’s program and the spiritual state I was in during those years. Growing up in Mesa I was surrounded by friends that typically had the same standards and beliefs I did. I encountered trials and struggles but I had an ample supply of support from my peers. I lived a teenage life that was easily accepted and practiced by most of my friends. Living in Tucson presents a different case for the youth. The number of Latter Day Saints is smaller in this community and the challenges faced everyday in their social realm is different from what I experienced. Tonight I was thankful for the opportunity to be a part of the congregation and to be uplifted and fortified by the Young Women. I am lucky to get to spend my time with them and personally grow because of their faith. I am glad to have felt the sweet, simple and peaceful nature of the Spirit tonight. The feelings I had tonight paralleled so distinctly with feelings I had during the ages of 12-18 while attending church youth functions. The Spirit felt tonight was touching and reassuring of strength in this time and generation. I love learning from these girls every week. At first, I complained somewhat about having to go through the ritual of mutual every Tuesday evening. Mutual is actually proving to be a great source of entertainment for me. The girls are typically hilarious and have random comments and stories to share. I need to start writing down funny one liners they throw out because they are worth remembering!

No comments: