6.2.10

I guess I just set a goal?!

I am sitting in front of the computer a sweaty mess feeling like any abrupt movement might result in me puking. I just got back from what I would define as a grueling run. What exactly does grueling embody? Well…I jogged at what most likely was a 10 minute pace for a whole 20 minutes! Plus, there were only 2 breather breaks in the whole workout session. Cue erupting laughter. Pathetic pretty much sums up my current physical condition. I am sure the puking sensation I am feeling right now can also be contributed to the massive amount of pizza, brownies and ice cream I fed myself last night. Steve’s parents made a pit stop in Tucson last night and we headed out to a fabulous pizzeria for dinner. I had no problem sampling all 4 different types of pizza choices placed 6 inches in front of my nose. I was barely able to walk up the stairs to the apartment due to my overly stuffed stomach. Yet I had no qualms about placing a hefty sized brownie in a bowl with a fair amount of vanilla ice cream plopped right on top. Oh yeah, there was a nice drizzle of caramel layered on top of the ice cream. I would like to thank Steve for the constant supply of brownies sitting on the kitchen counter. He likes to remind me on almost a daily basis that it is in fact his favorite dessert therefore it is necessary to have a fresh batch around the house at all times. So, my food consumption made my attempts at running somewhat of a struggle today. I should acknowledge that the most deserving culprit for such a weak run was definitely the lack of consistent exercising in my life.

It can be safely said that I am lazy, as noted by my exhaustion from the measly attempt made today. In my defense this has not always been the case. I used to be “hardcore” in the world of exercise. My college days were consumed with an obsession for running and toning. Running has always been really hard for me. I don’t have running genes in me. I never built up incredible endurance but I got pretty good at pushing through for a decent chunk of time. I ran everyday for at least 60 minutes. It was hard every time but I was capable of doing it. 60 minutes really isn’t even that much compared to true runners who are constantly training for some marathon. People like to argue that anyone can be a runner and all that other nonsense. I still think that there are people born with the genes to run and I still think that will never be me. However, the state I am in now is not me.

A couple years ago I went snowboarding and injured myself after I tried to land a jump with my left leg completely straight. My leg was useless for quite a while. I physically was not capable of running. I tried to go for a jog 3 months after my ridiculous efforts pretending like I could do tricks on a snowboard. I lasted for 30 seconds and realized that my knee was not even close to healed. I gave up on running and wasn’t that concerned about it. I was already out of the habit and didn’t care that much.

Unfortunately, the careless attitude stuck for a while. I need motivation to run again because being outside exercising makes everyone feel better and function better. I have the time so I really have no excuse not to run. Today will be documented as day one of running. Even though it was a poor attempt it was an attempt none the less. I thought it would be interesting to document each day I run to make note of the progress. Plus, I will feel more of a sense of commitment to get it done every day.

Here is a lovely picture to showcase that I did in fact go running. Even though I stopped twice, only lasted 20 minutes and ran slower than a snail I do look like I just ran a marathon. For my current condition it was a brutal 20 minutes.

3 comments:

Paul*Anne*Cohen*Addison said...

Horray! you are now at my level of exercising ability, instead of my pitiful attempts at jogging with you at the gym for 20 minuts, doing some sit ups, and milling around asking if you and Michelle were done yet with your marathon hour of really fast jogging. Paul tells me I lied when we were dating because I worked out then and I probably have worked out a total of 10 times since we've been married these last 5 years. haha Well sir, you opened my door then, so you lied too :) I would say that I wish I lived by you so we could go jogging together but who am I kidding? I wish I lived by you so I could eat the brownies and ice cream together as I just finished a very large piece of "better than sex" cake for brunch!

TJ and Jen Sherwood said...

Hey Breck, It's Jen (Mcrae) Sherwood. I just found your blog and wanted to say hi! Your posts are so cute and funny! Hope married life is great!

Natalie said...

so thattts where my t-shirt went...