Remember how October inspires me to do all sorts of crazy things, such as setting goals? Well it does and I did in fact set a goal. This goal is kind of like my running goal I discussed several posts ago. I am not much of a goal follow througher. My goal making is rutted in a cyclical pattern. Every few months the same goals burst into my mind, usually when I am shuffling about in bed during that hour of night when I lay desperately trying to talk my body into sleep. Seriously, does anyone else have a foolproof cure for shutting a brain off for some sleep eye? My mind is out of control when it is pitch black and it has gotten worse since having a baby. So that is when the aspiration begins and continues until the sun rises the subsequent hours. One of those goals is... you guessed it, the running one. I really am going to make that happen as soon as I can catch up with some sleep one of these days. I am almost to the point where I am going to waste away some of the nonexistent money I have and sign up for a half marathon so I scare myself into working out. Knowing me, I would just not show up on race day and pretend like I never shredded that registration money I submitted months earlier. Another regular contender in the goal arena is repairing my limited English vernacular. I think about this one on almost a weekly basis and have done so since high school. My everyday speech is far too limited. I love being in the presence of people who educate themselves and choose to deepen their understanding of life through the language they use. It makes life a more vibrant and interesting process. Why stick to the same 20 words in every conversation? Why not invest in rich expressions that are poetic and diverse? The time has come to shake life up a little bit and put the time into moving beyond my 5th grade understanding of terminologies. I actually started yesterday. Each week there will be a new focus word that I have committed to incorporate into my daily discussions. I need to use it at least once a day and I need to practice using all variations of definitions that accompany the word. I already told my husband that he is not allowed to make fun of me throughout this experiment because he is most likely the person that I will be practicing on. The words might be ones I have heard before, used on a limited basis, never even knew existed, have no idea how to even pronounce, a funny terminology for humdrum phrases, stumble upon while reading, an intellect throws out, etc. No rhyme or reason to my word picking, just want to find words that I will actually make an effort to add to my repertoire.
Drum roll time…the word that I already started butchering yesterday is: Asperity. It is a noun but I keep wanting to use it in an adjective form so I am struggling with it just a tad. I also keep wanting to say the word: apricity. I don’t even know what apricity means so it is a mystery as to why that keeps rolling off of my lips. So the actual word I am studying this week, asperity, can apply to a surface, situation, mannerism, or sound that has a roughness about it. Cheers to the start of my goal!
Also, cheers to my Halloween baby! Although she is flaunting the leading role in the terrible two's club this week, she is still adorable. I had no idea 7 month, old babies could be so dramatic just for the sake of being dramatic. She has perfected some of her acting skills this week and she definitely can put on quite a show now. Oh, see that orange accessory accentuating the tan, fabric bow on her headband? That successfully made its way into her mouth and was swallowed in the blink of an eye. It might have been even faster than that. I don't even think I blinked in the amount of time it took her to gulp it down. Luckily, a massive choking excursion was avoided this time around. So now we wait while she tries to digest her orange button. I hope it was delicious. Her hands and mouth are both in motion because she doesn't sit still. This was the best shot I could get before she darted away to stick her finger in the outlet sockets. If only those things were just a couple of inches higher.

1 comment:
i am in love with her. and i can't wait for you to try out your words at thanksgiving... who knew you were such a learning lovin' person? well i guess you did get your masters... and this is why you are the ambitious one in the family.
Post a Comment